The project is based on an exchange of Letters of Intent between the Directors
of the participating institutions or services. To initiate the process, the Director requesting involvement in IBPIO is pleased asked to mail to the Chairman first.
The project and the form of co-operation are described in a document called
"Operating Principles for an International Buoy Programme for the Indian Ocean".
This document is deposited with the Secretariats of the World Meteorological
Organization (WMO) and the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC).
The last version (updated 2013) may be downloaded from here
The programme is presently managed by a Programme Committee composed of :
Chairman, Programme Commitee :
- Mr Shaun Dolk, NOAA/AOML, USA
- Mr Johan Stander, SAWS (South Africa)
- Mr John Mungai, KMD (Kenya)
- Mr Kenneth Connell, NOAA/PMEL (USA)
- Mrs Mayra Pazos, NOAA/AOML (USA)
- Mr R. Venkatesan, NIOT (India)
- Mr Christopher Rushing, Navoceano (USA)
- Mr V.V. Gopalakrishna, NIO (India)
- Mr M. Ravichandran, INCOIS (India)
- Mr Boris Kelly-Gerreyn, ABOM (Australia)
- Mr Gilbert Emzivat, Meteo-France
Last revised : February 15th, 2017